I loved doing this Pilates Ab routine just after sunrise on the dock at my hotel in Crete! I followed it with delicious Greek yogurt with honey! Print this page out and try 8-12 reps of each exercise at sunrise, then have some Greek yogurt for breakfast! Or try it at sunset, followed by some grilled veggies and hoummous!
1. Warm up with ab curls. Curling up from your ribs!
2. Pilates 100s. Can be done with legs bent, or straight out on a diagonal for a challenge. Beat the arms up and down as you inhale for 5 counts and exhale for 5 counts while staying curled up from the ribs.
3. Single leg stretch. Stay curled up as you bring one knee in and stretch the other leg out. Repeat on other side. That’s one rep.
4. Double leg stretch. Reach fingers away from the toes, keeping torso curled up and still. You have a shot of ouzo on your abs! Don’t spill it!
5. Single straight leg stretch staying curled up from the ribs. Grab one leg as you lower the other to the floor. Repeat on the other side. That’s one rep.
6. Double straight leg stretch. Legs can be straight or slightly bent with heels in. Keep upper body curled up with hands behind the head, and lower and lift the legs down towards the ground. Lifting from the lower abs.
7. Lower ab lift and lowers. Hands are placed behind lower back as you lift and lower the legs straight down to the ground controlling the motion with your lower abs. Head is down.
8. Cross cross. Bring opposite elbow to opposite knee as you twist and reach the opposite leg out away from you. Repeat on the other side. That’s one rep. Remember: quality over quantity!!
9. Teaser. Curl up from the ribs while bending the knees and bringing the legs up into a v-sit position and then slowly come back down to starting position with control.
10. Mermaid side stretch. Start with knees bent to the side, top foot in front of the bottom foot. Press into your hand to lift the hips up into a side plank and reach the top arm to the ground. Come back down all the way to starting position. Add pulses (lifting hips up and down) at the top for a challenge.
11. Plank on the forearms. Keeping the tailbone slightly tucked and the abs pulled into the spine.
12. Plank with hip taps. While in plank, rotate one hip down to the mat, and then the other. That’s one rep!
Try this killer ab workout in the morning when you first wake up, after work in the afternoon, or add it to another one of my workouts!
Check in with me to let me know you did it on Facebook, Instagram, or twitter!