1. Plan ahead. If you’re trying to get pregnant, make sure you are at a healthy weight and are regularly exercising first so you can continue your regimen while pregnant. A lot of people will start working out after they get pregnant which is not recommended.
2. Stay on track. Try to weigh yourself weekly to make sure you are not gaining too much or too little. You can enter your weight and number of weeks pregnant into a pregnancy weight gain calculator to see what your target range should be.
3. Stay active. It can be tough to stay active when you are pregnant because building a tiny human is exhausting. But, the thing is you actually have more energy when you work out. One thing that kept me going was knowing that at some point I would have to stop or slow down, so I wanted to make sure I took advantage of being able to work out as much as possible while I still could before the end of the pregnancy. Although as it turned out, I worked out until the very end (37 weeks on November 4th)!
4. Load up on fruits and veggies. When I wasn’t pregnant, I would skip a meal if I had sugary or fattening foods to make up for the calories that I was consuming, but when you are pregnant, you need as many nutrients as possible. Try to add fruits and veggies wherever you can, even if you are not hungry. It will help give you energy, and make you feel better overall.
5. Relax. It’s so easy to get caught up in the stress of changes happening in your body and lifestyle. Try to keep stress at bay by meditating, doing yoga, getting massages, etc. Luckily for my wallet, one of my favorite ways to relax was to take my dogs for walks on the beach.